Wednesday, April 8, 2015

An economic aspect of Long Distance Relationship

I've been in a long distance relationship (LDR) for 2 years and 4 months now. Maintaining it has always been a huge challenge. Not only distance which makes things harder but also takes two individual whom are truly keen and committed.

Everybody knows that love is not measurable and I could not agree more. Putting LOVE aside(it is certainly something more to discuss, what it means to me), a romantic relationship is more than saying "I love you". I am really interested to review  my relationship and it is definately way beyond, "Baby, I love you." That's the reason why I would like to do a quantitative measurement to see how feasible is this relationship.

I would categorized distance in a relationship into two sections, physically and mentally. So, what is the physical or rather geographical distance between us? Approximately 5,800 km. Unlike any ordinary couples, we have been restricted by the distance. Physically, we are already not attached nor there for each other. As much as I would like to see him, touch him and feel him, I can only do that virtually or imaginary. This disadvantage leads to mental distance, fact. Without seeing and touching, you need hundred times more effort to connect, to feel and  to trust, to keep it going.

We indeed are trying hard most of the time. And putting extra effort the whole time is never fun in the long run. Sometimes, we need a break. That result in resentment and neglection to one party, which carries high chance that it eventually leads to misunderstanding and unnecessary argument.

Things would remain the same if we there is no changes made. But, are we ready for the change? This is what I would like to discover. As far as I know, I am like most people, fear of changing, but I am ready to take on changes for love sake. Is he ready? I am uncertain.

He is younger and not yet established, but that doesn't bother me. Because, I HAVE MADE UP MY MIND. For better or worse, I will be there. He is ambitious, he wants to start his own brewery, and I  admire him utterly for that. I am, in no doubt full on in supporting him. I do not question him for his love for me. but for one reason that I suspect that he is not ready now. For one reason, and this reason only; not being established enough to take on the responsibility to have me in his life.

I could understand, peers as his age, are still young and frivolous. Responsibilities?Ah.. this can come a few years later. I cannot impose that on him, so, I have to plan on my own to workaround him.I try to see him at least, once in every three months, ideally. This requires a fair bit of money, and planning. How I wish Airasia flies to Adelaide again.

It cost AUD 900 or MYR 1,600 (cheapest fare) per trip. So that would cost at least MYR 8,400 in a year. We do not have that many annual leave, in most cases, we are taking unpaid days off. Taking 5 days off into consideration and the daily rate of apx. MYR 100 for me, and AUD 200 for him, we lost MYR 3,500. Total, would be MYR 11,900. So, it's been two years now, we literally lost almost MYR 24,000 just to see each other. How long more is this going to carry on? I believe now you would understand, why am I measuring this relationship in monetary term. It is just not economical.  

My question now is, how much does a visa cost? Does it cost more than MYR 24,000?

Of course, there are plenty of visa types available, but which will be best choice? Undoubtedly, partner visa. I can only be optimistic that he has no objections and willing to proceed. Please do not get me wrong, I do not intend to force a marriage. It is probably the most convenient option for us JUST to be physically there for each other and for this relationship to work out.

Why do not I consider other visas, working visa? I have to admit, I am not a doctor, lawyer, engineer nor an accountant. Getting a work visa is not easy. Even so, there are very minimal opportunities in Adelaide. Moreover, I would want to be his left hand woman building his beer empire, ultimately.

So here is the link to the fees and charges. For a start, that would be about AUD 4,630, equivalent to MYR 13,917. This visa fall under Applicant outside Australia. Visa application cost more if you are residing in Australia. How long does it take? The standard processing time for - Partner (temporary) (subclass 309, 820) Priority Group 1 is 5 months. (see link: http://www.immi.gov.au/About/Pages/service-standards/Family-visa-processing-times.aspx). JUST 5 month! Once the visa is granted,  the visa label cost AUD 150.
 
VIsa application : AUD 4,360
Visa label:            AUD   150
Gross total:         AUD  4,510  ≈ MYR 13,530

With MYR 13,530 + 5 months of waiting time + then we can finally be together. This is totally worth it and way cheaper than maintaining a relationship being apart!

So what's next?



----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've included more links for refence purposes.

Partner Migration Booklet
Applicant Document Checklist
Form 888 Statutory declaration by a supporting witness in relation to a Partner or a Prospective Marriage visa applicant (to be completed by two Australian citizens or permanent residents who have personal knowledge of your partner relationship).

Form 888 is an interesting one. I am not sure if our answers would match, or at least close.

More to come, catch you later!




No comments: